There is an excellent collection of monuments in Wing Church. The most important is that to Sir Robert Dormer (1552), called the "purest Renaissance monument of the mid-16th century". The ox skull and garland decoration is something else! Two huge, and more colourful, Dormer monuments stand in the apse: one with recumbent effigies, one with kneelers at prayer desks. Three tiny babies in swaddling clothes on the former. Very individual children on the latter. The wall monument to Henry Fynes (1758) in the nave is by Roubiliac and the putto is very fine. Also note the rather fun brass to 'Honest Thomas Cotes' (1648). The building is best known for its Saxon crypt.
The pictures on this page are cropped examples of images in our high resolution photo library. Please e-mail us for details of these or similar image availability at our very reasonable reproduction rates.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2005|