While most churches in England have lost their medieval glass to the destructive power of Edward VI's puritans and/or Cromwell's soldiers, Fairford Church has an almost complete set: twenty-eight in all. They were made by Barnard Flower, the Master Glazier to King Henry VII, between 1500 & 1517. They were used to teach the congregation the stories of the Bible and the saints. The windows of the nave and clerestory show holy men of the Church, while those at the eastern end of the building display scenes from the life of Christ. In the west are the three judgement windows: David, Solomon and Christ. The magnificent great west window features Christ sitting in judgement on the World, encircled by his angelic entourage. Beneath him, St. Michael weighs souls as they rise from the grave. Some enter heaven, others hell. The upper portion is actually a Victorian recreation of the original medieval glass which had deteriorated so badly that it had to be replaced.
The pictures on this page are cropped examples of images in our high resolution photo library. Please e-mail us for details of these or similar image availability at our very reasonable reproduction rates.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2005|